77 Thought-Provoking Flying Quotes for All Travelers
Just what do we mean by travel? Its the movement of people or objects (such as airplanes, boats, trains, cars, motorcycles and other conveyances) between geographical locations. That’s considered Travel.
The locations could be relatively close or far away in distance. A daily commute is also traveling, but usually when one considers travel they mean many further distances. However, there is such a thing as a staycation. That’s really short travel distances, often on a weekend or holiday. However, it could also mean being at home enjoying yourself for a change.
A Few Ocean Quotes for Landlocked Citizens
There are lots of travel quotes. Since we personally live relatively close to the Pacific ocean, less than 40 miles, here are a few quotes related to water or the ocean. Some people who live far from a large body of water would love to travel to places close to the ocean, sea, or large lake.
“Fishermen own the fish they catch, but they do not own the ocean.” ~ Etienne Schneider
“The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.” ~ Enya
“Our knowledge is a little island in a great ocean of nonknowledge.” ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
“Civilization is like a thin layer of ice upon a deep ocean of chaos and darkness.” ~ Werner Herzog
“Out here in California, in the Pacific Ocean, the sharks have a bad attitude.” ~ Katy Mixon
“Life is like the ocean, it goes up and down.” ~ Vanessa Paradis
“Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.” ~ Ryunosuke Satoro
“My favorite place to vacation is anyplace by the ocean.” ~ Nina Arianda
“When the fishbowl gets too small, it’s time to pack up and leave and jump into the lake or ocean.” ~ Travie
“I love being by the ocean. It stills the voices in my head.” ~ Chris Weitz
“I like to go to my simple cottage by the ocean or, really, any beach!” ~ Barry Sternlicht
“A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.” ~ Gloria Stuart
“I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to study the ocean before we destroy it.” ~ James Cameron
In the next section, we’ll showcase a few different other kinds of travel quotes for your enjoyment.
Why do people travel?
- tourism or vacationing
- research travel for the gathering of information
- discovery and exploration
- your business partner lives in another country, you must go meet her
- pleasure or relaxation
- holiday travel to visit people
- volunteer travel for charity
- business travel
- daily commuting (usually local, but sometimes long distances)
- to obtain health care (i.e. U.S. citizens go to Mexico because health care and medicines are cheaper)
- fleeing country or area because of war
- just for the sheer enjoyment of traveling
- for migration to begin life anew somewhere else
- religious pilgrimages (often once a year for some religions)
- religious mission trips
- as a side trip if stationed in the military
- you live next to the border of another country, its easy to travel there
- lots of other reasons
The How and Why of Travel
Travel may occur by walking or bicycling. It could be in cabs, or in vehicles such as public transportation. A popular way in the US is by car. So cars, buses, trains, and airplanes are also very common ways to travel. Your travels can be local, regional, national (domestic) or international.
Your travels may be part of a round-trip, in whereby a person goes from one location to another and returns. Or it could be a one-way trip. For example, when I went into the Army I flew from California to Kentucky.
It could also be a one-way trip going or coming and use another method of travel in the opposite direction. An example of that was when I drove cross country from Los Angeles to St. Louis Missouri with relatives. Later I had to fly back home to California since the rest of the gang stayed there another week or so.
A similar example of this would be when I flew from California to Missouri last year and drove back home to Lake Elsinore California in a car.
77 Thought-Provoking Flying Quotes
Some people love to fly while others loathe it, or somewhere between that extreme. If one has to or wants to go a long distance it is often necessary to fly. Same case if one lives on an island and wants to go far, in a reasonable period of time, they are pretty much left to flying there.
1. “It’s only when you’re flying above it that you realize how incredible the Earth really is.” ~ Philippe Perrin
2. “The good thing about flying solo is it’s never boring.” ~ Steve Fossett
3. “Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.” ~ Amelia Earhart
4. “Whenever I dream about flying, it’s the best feeling in the world.” ~ Kate Mara
5. “Flying is like the ultimate superpower; it’s just, like, the coolest thing.” ~ Logan Henderson
6. “I have often said that the lure of flying is the lure of beauty.” ~ Amelia Earhart
7. “What would air travel look like if airplanes were thrown out after each flight? No one would be flying in airplanes.” ~ Gwynne Shotwell
8. “As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.” ~ George Orwell
9. “I have to say that flying on Air Force One sort of spoils you for coach on a regular airline.” ~ Ron Reagan
10. “I think it is a pity to lose the romantic side of flying and simply to accept it as a common means of transport…. “ ~ Amy Johnson
11. “We will never get to the flying car era. We will get to the era where we get flying drones that haul people, though.” ~ Thomas Frey
12. “When I started working on Southwest Airlines, I kid you not, only people flying on business and very wealthy people ever flew.” ~ Herb Kelleher
13. “The thing about Vegas is, I don’t have to fly anywhere, and that really helps. It means I stay in one place for three weeks at a time instead of flying backward and forwards.” ~ Elton John
14. “I must’ve been a bird in some previous lifetime. I feel like I’m called to flying – the convenience and the beauty of it. That feeling of soaring would be empowering.” ~ Rachel Keller
15. “It’s so dry on planes, and when you are flying for 30 hours, facial mists and moisturizers are an absolute must!” ~ Hannah Bronfman
16. “The worst way of flying, I think, is standby. It never works. That’s why they call it standby. You end up standing there going, ‘Bye!'” ~ Jerry Seinfeld
17. “Flying is awful, there’s nothing to do when you’re up in the air. I bloat up, my skin gets dry, and when we hit turbulence, I’m terrified.” ~ Daniela Pestova
18. “I’ve met the most interesting people while flying or on a boat. These methods of travel seem to attract the kind of people I want to be with.” ~ Hedy Lamarr
19. “Ever since I bought and started flying an airplane, it’s been almost exclusively for business. I love to fly. It’s a great joy to me. But rarely do I use it for any kind of pleasure, other than it is a pleasure to fly.” ~ Arnold Palmer
20. “I remember flying in, driving down 101 in a cab, and passing by all these tech companies like Yahoo! I remember thinking, ‘Maybe someday we’ll build a company. This probably isn’t it, but one day we will.” ~ Mark Zuckerberg
21. “I never get sick on airplanes, which is incredible. You’re basically in a flying petri dish.” ~ Danny Meyer
22. “Flying a good airplane doesn’t require near as much attention as a motor car.” ~ Charles Lindbergh
23. “I like flying to New York from London. It’s like a day off for me. No phone or e-mails. Food, wine, iPod, movies, snoozing.” ~ Ricky Gervais
24. “Traveling around the world is really strenuous for me, being in a different bed every night, flying and everything.” ~ Britney Spears
25. “My greatest pleasure is still flying private. I spend between $300,000 to $500,000, depending on my year, on flying private.” ~ Suze Orman
26. “I’m not afraid of flying; I just fear I’m going to die. I think I’m – vulnerable. I admit it. I don’t fly. I got claustrophobia. I don’t go in high buildings. I don’t do those things. I’m just myself, whatever that is.” ~ John Madden
27. “I take goldenseal, Echinacea, and cod liver oil when flying to boost my immune system.” ~ Janelle Monae
28. “My plane is a Premiere; it has very efficient gas turbine engines. It goes very fast on relatively little fuel. Flying has been my passion since I was a kid.” ~ Dean Kamen
29. “I haven’t isolated myself. I am not living on a yacht somewhere. I am not tucked away or behind a gate somewhere. I am not flying on a private plane. I am going to the airport, I am with people, some of the interactions are good, some of them are not so good, but it keeps me in touch with being, you know, part of society.” ~ Nicolas Cage
30. “Man is flying too fast for a world that is round. Soon he will catch up with himself in a great rear end collision.” ~ James Thurber
31. “I never minded flying cheap. I always said to myself, ‘Taking this flight saves enough money to rescue four dogs, or six cats, or will let me make a difference to the one woman saving chimps in Cameroon.” ~ Elayne Boosler
32. “I’m really scared of flying. Like, really, really, really scared.” ~ Sam Smith
33. “Howard Hughes was this visionary who was obsessed with speed and flying like a god… I loved his idea of what filmmaking was.” ~ Martin Scorsese
34. “I get heartbroken flying into L.A. It’s just this feeling of unspecific loss. Can you imagine what the San Fernando Valley was when it was all wheat fields? Can you imagine what John Steinbeck saw?” ~ Edward Norton
35. “I don’t think that I had any idea that ‘Fear of Flying’ would become a part of the culture. I had no idea that it would go all over the world and be published in Chinese and Serbo-Croat and so on.” ~ Erica Jong
36. “When you’ve been on a programme called ‘An Idiot Abroad’ job offers aren’t exactly flying in.” ~ Karl Pilkington
37. “I’m very phobic about flying, but I’m also drawn to it.” ~ Martin Scorsese
38. “One day I would love to do rock a gig on the moon – how rad would that be? Isn’t Richard Branson flying planes to outer space? Motley Crue could be the first band to play on the moon.” ~ Tommy Lee
39. “The idea of flying, in general, does not appeal to me. I can barely understand why people want to fly at all, other than that it’s occasionally necessary.” ~ Ridley Scott
40. “These are moments in your life to be cherished; they don’t come around that often. To be flying around in a ‘Game of Thrones’ jet, to be greeted by massive enthusiasts.” ~ Natalie Dormer
41. “I hate flying, flat out hate its guts.” ~ William Shatner
42. “From flying in the cockpit of an A-10 to chairing hearings on Capitol Hill, I’ve learned that each of us will face struggles as we pursue our goals.” ~ Martha McSally
43. “Flying commercial airlines has become an all-too-often unpleasant experience.” ~ Dan Lipinski
44. “I have so many miles and I’ve been flying for so long that every time I fly, it’s first class. It’s one of those things that, if I needed to jump on a plane, and fly to Spain tomorrow, I know I could get it done. Just like that.” ~ Lupe Fiasco
45. “I feel very confident that Americans flying in the air are safe and that only under the most dire of circumstances would our pilots ever even request permission to do that.” ~ Hugh Shelton
46. “If I’m chartering in and out and flying home after I play, that doesn’t make sense. But where we can bus, then we’ll bring the family out and spend time with them during the day.” ~ Zac Brown
47. “I hate flying. Know why? Because no one really understands how planes actually work.” ~ Adam Levine
48. “The criticism is, once I get something flying, I lose interest in it.” ~ Burt Rutan
49. “Most of the energy in North America is just consuming – Wal-Mart, shopping centres, government offices – or personal consumption: houses, cars, flying to Hawaii, gambling in Las Vegas. We could live affluent lifestyles with half as much energy.” ~ Vaclav Smil
50. “There’s a lot of trainers in my career, between Terry Taylor and Arn Anderson, who’ve always told me to keep my damn feet on the ring mat, and there’s just that little kid in me – I may be 45, but there’s that little kid in me that, if I get a chance to do some flying, I’m gonna do it.” ~ Big Show
51. “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
52. “In my teenage years I was put off the idea of a career in flying, because I’d convinced myself that you had to be a boffin with degrees in maths and physics, which were my weakest subjects.” ~ Bruce Dickinson
53. “I actually find flying therapeutic.” ~ Evangeline Lilly
54. “Flying, I continue to be involved with. I love flying, and I hope to keep doing it so long as I can pass my medicals and stay proficient.” ~ Ratan Tata
55. “When fears are grounded, dreams take flight.” ~ Anon
56. “To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly is everything.” ~ Otto Lilienthal
57. “Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime.” ~ General Adolf Galland
58. “Flying is a lot like playing a musical instrument; you’re doing so many things and thinking of so many other things, all at the same time. It becomes a spiritual experience. Something wonderful happens in the pit of your stomach.” ~ Dusty Mctavish
59. “I don’t have a fear of flying; I have a fear of crashing.” ~ Billy Bob Thornton
60. “Why fly’ Simple. I’m not happy unless there’s some room between me and the ground.” ~ Richard Bach
61. “No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris.” ~ Orville Wright
62. “There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror.” ~ Orson Welles
63. “Flying was a very tangible freedom. In those days, it was beauty, adventure, discovery – the epitome of breaking into new worlds.” ~ Anne Morrow Lindbergh
64. “That’s the thing about flying: You could talk to someone for hours and never even know his name, share your deepest secrets and then never see them again.” ~ Jennifer E. Smith
65. “To most people the sky is the limit. To those who love flying, the sky is home.” ~ unknown
66. “If you are bored flying, your standards are too low.” ~ Lauran Paine Jr
67. “Flying is within our grasp. We have naught to do but take it.” ~ Charles F. Duryea
68. “[Flying] fosters fantasies of childhood, of omnipotence, rapid shifts of being, miraculous moments; it stirs our capacity for dreaming.” ~ Joyce Carol
69. “All my life, I’ve never been able to get enough airplanes. This will keep me flying every day. “ ~ Astronaut Robert ‘Hoot’ Gibson
70. “Any pilot can describe the mechanics of flying. What it can do for the spirit of man is beyond description.” ~ Barry M. Goldwater
71. “I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
72. “See driving is like stabbing someone, it’s very personal. While flying is like shooting someone, it’s more distant.” ~ Bushwick Bill
73. “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.” ~ Anon
74. “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror.” ~ Gregory Boyington
75. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” ~ M. Barrie, Peter Pan
76. “I spent about seven years during the Vietnam War flight-testing airplanes for the Air Force. And then I went in and I had a lot of fun building airplanes that people could build in their garages. And some 3,000 of those are flying. Of course, one of them is around-the-world Voyager.” ~ Burt Rutan
77. “One thing that flying in space does for you is it gives you a change in perspective. We all have to live in the same place.” ~ Peggy Whitson
The above are flying quotes covering a myriad of things concerning flying. See if any of these apply to you. Do you recognize any of the famous people whose quotes are here? If so, do you agree with them if they love to fly? What about the quotes where people hate the idea of flying?
Different Countries have Different Passport & Visa Rules
When flying it is not uncommon to cross country borders. If you land in a different country from where you started then usually you need a passport and/or visa. Here is some information regarding that.
In some countries, non-local internal travel may require an internal passport, while international travel typically requires a passport and visa. In some instances, you must have valid passports for at least six months after you leave the country you are traveling to.
Some countries only require a passport, but no visa. But in most such instances there is a list of specific countries that can enter with only a passport.
An example of requiring a passport and visa is in certain countries in Africa like Tanzania. Also depending on where you live and where you are traveling to, there may be a requirement for one or more vaccinations or shots to prevent you from catching certain diseases like malaria. You need to think of this sometimes months before you travel.
When going on my first African Safari I needed a certain vaccination. But I also needed the second one in the series six months later, before I could leave for the safari.
So be prepared for vaccination shot price shock. I remember I paid almost $300 for shots before going to Africa. Sometimes your health insurance doesn’t cover all your shots or they cannot be scheduled in time.
Sometimes when going extremely long distances such as on a train or plane you will need to sleep while traveling. Of course, if you are on a long cruise on a ship you know and expect to sleep on the boat during your cruise.
On short trips and usually on long trips in large countries you may cross a time zone. In that case, the time will be an hour ahead on behind. That’s depending on which direction you are going. Long trips on a plane crossing several time zones sometimes will cause a person to develop jet lag.